Monday, January 21, 2013

Another food post

You guyssssss...
I've been so exhausted every night. Any kind of creative thought has seemed simply impossible. I got so tired that I stopped making myself lunch for my internship. I have just been grab-bagging it. Example: one day I had snapea crisps, a can of pineapple, and some frozen peas. I know, you're jealous.

Well, this long weekend gave me a chance to refresh. Last night, I tried two new things. Both food-related, of course.

I bought this Cascadian Farms Ancient Grains Granola, and I am digging it. Not digging the price. Think around $5. No bueno. So, I did some googling and found a quinoa granola recipe! I read over it briefly, just to get an idea of how one goes about making granola.

I mixed together about a cup of oats, a cup of buckwheat groats, a third of a cup of tricolor quinoa in with a ton of coconut, a handful of chia seeds and some cinnamon. Then, I mixed in half of a cup of honey and half of a cup of coconut oil. I would most certainly either up the portion of oats or lower the amount of honey. It was toooooo sweet. Overall, I'm excited about  how it turned out. I will keep you updated on the other granola-esque concoctions I end up with.

I also tried to make some Filipino food. To be specific, I tried to make ginataang bilo-bilo, which is a rice flour dumpling in a coconut milk stew. It's supposed to be a dessert, but I was envisioning it like a dumpling version of oatmeal. It's made with jackfruit and tapioca pearls, traditionally. I had some tapioca pearls on hand, but no jackfruit, so I made it with some mango instead. I think I made it properly, but I just wasn't enjoying the dumplings themselves. I am proud of myself for trying at least. Of course, I didn't take any pictures. So, you can just google this stuff and imagine that's what it looked like.

Happy MLK Jr. Day everyone : )

No comments:

Post a Comment